View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
throttleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander
I think it's supposed to be an Italian place now and they're moving the Boathouse Grill over to the new hotel.
The new restaurant is called Lago and it has a really nice atmosphere. I dined there a few months ago. They replaced the booths and knocked out the back wall of the bar so it has more of an open feeling.

The food was of above-average quality compared to other restaurants in the area, yet slightly overpriced--just like the former Boathouse and some other C-man establishments. I enjoyed my meal, but I wasn't completely blown away or exhuberantly impressed. A little disclaimer--I'm Italian, I've been to Italy, and I spent about 10 years working in some really nice restaurants and have dined in some of the finest restaurants across the country, so I tend to be overly critical and it takes a lot to knock my socks off. Anyways, it seemed as though they took their standard Boathouse Grille entrees and added some more garlic, used tomato sauce instead of a typical stock based gravy on meats, and gave you a side of pasta instead of the standard rice/potato. I was expecting a taste of Italy, but instead got American Bistro with a side of Italian. I will say that I did enjoy the vast array of appetizers and salads. We tried the Caesar, Gnocchi and Calamari--the dishes were good.

Lago is certainly worth a visit with friends especially for the convenient location and great views of the water. I guess that's how they can justify their prices. You will have a decent meal there, so it is worth the visit--but bring the checkbook. I will be returning soon to sample other offerings on their menu. Anyways, I would recommend Lago for atmosphere, but in terms of value and quality of food--the C-Man's Italian Farm House in Plymouth offers more of a traditional style Italian menu with delicious offerings for much less $$$$.

Last edited by throttleman; 04-07-2004 at 02:21 PM.
throttleman is offline   Reply With Quote