View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #184
VtSteve

Smile Kudos

to those on this forum that share the love of the water, and hope it will be available to all for many generations to come. I've had the privilege of growing up on the shores of Winni as a kid, and many weekends after that as an adult. I was fortunate enough to have a dad that instilled both discipline and respect, and beyond having a wondrous childhood on the lake, certainly didn't spoil us with riches.

Bad and good economies will come and go, and the boating industry is probably paying as much or more a price as any industry during this year. No question boat traffic on lakes and other waterways is down nationwide. Last year, it was sky high gas prices, this year it's cost of living, layoffs, and the weather. Speaking of the weather, I've glanced and looked at hardtop boats with windshield wipers and heaters this year Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe I just need to not get as wet. At any rate, we still persevere on the water regardless.

Not everyone on the waterways have a lifelong upbringing on the water and around boats. The past decade or so has brought people from all walks of life to the boating world. As with any activity, be it golfing, sailing, hiking, many don't share the same degree of responsibility and civility as many of us would like. Positive influences exist, in the form of sailing clubs, powerboating clubs, and all sorts of community centers and yacht clubs. Within these groups resides the positive attitudes that can and do rub off on their members, and subsequent generations.

I've met so many thoughtful and genuinely nice people both on the water and in other endeavors such as golf. I've also witnessed some pretty rude and dangerous behavior out on the water. Much of it is attitude, which as anyone that drives a car can attest, is very hard to change. Peer pressure is a powerful force, a more appropriate upbringing is certainly better. All we can do is just try to have positive influences on everyone, and at the very least, teach our kids to be exactly what we'd like everyone to be. Heck, I'd like to instill some common sense and decency in some of our youngest law enforcement people. So it's not an isolated problem.

Most people understand these issues, which are certainly not specific to the boating world. It would be helpful to have MP folks chime in on the real state of the problems, as spoken by boaters themselves. I know many such conversations have occurred, and many would be surprised at what the MP really sees, not to mention the hierarchy that they live under.

At any rate, I'm delighted to have a body of water that (conditions permitting), allows me complete and unfettered access. No congestion, not many problems, and less headaches. I think the weather has gotten to me this year, and I've allowed negative people to influence my responses. I refuse to do so again. Life's to short to debate topics with such obvious results. In that light, it's outside time