View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #181
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default There is a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
You might recall that this argument erupted after a comment about kayakers for which the poster has now apologized. That being said, you might have called that poster a troll or having an agenda but that would have conflicted with your agenda. As was alluded to earlier in the day, people who disagree with the mentality and culture of this forum are often badgered as such.
No justification for my choice of which forums I frequent is necessary...many of our posters are very partial to certain topics and I see yours seems to be centered around food. My wife and I started to follow the boating forum a couple of years ago to see how the topic which shall not be discussed was shaping up. We were amazed at some of the outrageous arguments, bromides, and other silly comments put forth by some of more dominating/intimidating members of the forum (no one has yet beaten the comment "If the old man of the mountain were still standing, he'd be shedding a tear right now"...we were on the floor laughing at that one). In any case, we have followed/contributed to efforts to shape the future of the lake, both in the recent and more distant past. As far as other topics like eating (we tend to eat at home with family because the view can't be beat and we kind of got out of the habit, what with college tuitions and the like which made demands on our income) and home maintenance (we do most of that ourselves), these are things we tend to discuss with friends and family. By the way, on the topic of postings, we are amazed at the number/frequency of some of the posters...makes us wonder what time is left for anything else...what is it, 425 in 2 years for you? Glad you still seem to be finding time to go out and eat.
Well, sorry to have had to take on the negative tone of your 2 posts today...tomorrow is another day and maybe we'll all wake up in a better mood. Bon appetit, TB
Let's back up- A) I have no agenda on performance boats and speed as my "fleet" consists of an 86 Chris Bow Rider that can almost hit 44, a 16' Old Town Canoe and a Laser sailboat. My main issue with the speed limit is that enforcing the existing rules and laws, particularly the 150' rule, would make the lake a safer place than a speed limit B) The difference, as I see it, between you and the supporters of performance boats are that they are generally not posting negative comments about Kayakers on Kayak related threads, you on the other hand seem to only post against performance boats on performance related threads. It is just my opinion, you can choose to ignore me from this point forward but the "got sour grapes" reply got to me.

The bottom line is we all want the same thing- to be able to enjoy the lake without infringing upon others. And I have been infringed upon by everytype of watercraft on the lake at one point or another. Like you, I have seen boneheads captaining every type of craft.

FYI, I have worked hard and been fortunate enough to be employed in a manner which allows me a great deal of flexibility. I start between 0330 and 0400 everyday and usually wrap up by 1730 or so, but on my breaks from the insanity of my job, I follow this forum. This lake and state are very near to my heart which is why I contribute here. If you want to compare schedules sometime, PM me- I go like a madman so I can enjoy the lake with my family and friends, eating out is part of that.

None of us have a time machine and we can't go back to the 50's- I know when and where the lake will be crazy and on those days we avoid it when possible.

Enough said, I'm going to the lake.