View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #20
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
You are never going to attract the "right people" without an investment and as with most city revitalization you need to start with the businesses and attractions first to make the city a destination before you can start to remove the section 8 types. That is the exact way it was done in areas in NY such as Harlem Upper Manhattan, and Bed Sty and other areas in Brooklyn that were much much worse than Laconia. May not be an exactly comparison but it gets the point across
I don't necessarily disagree with your statement. However, I think one important difference is that the City of Laconia has gone out of its way to attract Section 8 and rehab types to Laconia by greenlighting lots of projects over the past 5-10 years. The City has exacerbated the problem.

When I refer to right people, I mean people who are willing to work hard and pay taxes, and not look to the government for subsistence. I would prefer that people looking to live off of government (and taxpayer) money to live in cities and towns willing to pay for them. Unfortunately, Laconia is one of those cities. There is no meaning in my reference to right people beyond this concept.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: