View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #50
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Well now you are mixing up underfunded state pensions and health care costs. Two completely different items.

And a misunderstanding of what a collective bargaining agreement is.

A collective bargain agreement is an agreement, in this case, between the town and the towns employees. Both sides agree on all conditions. Each side can hire the bestest and brightest to represent their side. This is an agreement. Both sides agree to conditons of employment.

If your town or the state decides to raid their portion or both portions of the retirement funds - well shame on them. If your town or the state hires actuarial incompentents - well then shame on them. If the money is stolen to pay other state bills - well shame on the legislature.

And in Massachusetts most employees receive an annuity and not a pension. Look up the difference. Some police and firefighters may receive a pension but that is the legislature that sets that up. If that is too much - well, then shame on the elected legislature.

If New Hampshire or Massachusetts has problems with the funding of the state annuities and pensions then why do you folks keep electing the same people?

All elected officials should know all of this. If they don't they should inform themselves or resign and let someone else who is informed do the job.
Some people might take your comment as somewhat patronizing. I mean, I could point out that, in my town position, I see every CBA with each of our unions and vote on whether to fund them. I could point out that, at least in Mass., the funding for retirement and helath care are technically managed differently but budgeted for in the same way. I could point out that we cannot legally move money around as you suggest. I might even ask if you've ever run for election or even actively participated in your local government. But where would that get me? So speaking strictly to the issue of the long-term liability facing New England cities and towns, I don't think it's the "elected officials" you refer to that have the biggest impact. It's the cost of some of the union contracts. That's just my two bits.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote