View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #26
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I wasn't paying attention to signal strength. I was running speedtest on my verizon phone to see what I might get with tethered perf or a dedicated verizon "mifi".

I was seeing ping=over 1 second
download speeds of 100kbs
upload speeds of 50kbs

Clearly working from home isn't going to be very productive with that.

Guess I could look at hughsnet. The place has a wide open south view. But ping times would still be lousy, so picky vpn stuff wouldn't be great.

This all makes a hard decision much harder.

I was a little west of the peninsula on the mainline side (just look for the for sale signs)...

Guess I could pick up an AT&T hotspot and go play with it and return it within the 30 days. Cost isn't even really an object here.

I assume the islands ate all too far away for DSL to work?
We're going to have something over there after a while. It actually would be there now, but Metrocast blocked my efforts to bring high speed Internet to the island using my own equipment, so now going through the "official" channels - invoking the line extension in the franchise agreement Metrocast has with Alton.

Lots of people need this, so you're certainly not alone - which is why it's going to happen.

I think I might know which place you're looking at - the cottage with a lot of white lattice work at the front? Or is there another one over there...
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote