View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #17
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Is it possible to get PtP link into Wolfeboro (even if multi hops), and get a 15M DSL from Fairpoint? (Don't have my mapping software with me ATM).

Or some bonded T1s right to the land shoreline, its not cheap, depends on how much you really want it
The only viable alternative to getting Internet to Rattlesnake is either a fast DSL or cable (probably Metrocast). I looked into bonded T1s and T3s and WOW, would that be E X P E N S I V E (up to thousands of dollars per month!).

I already have the equipment to do a 45 megabit 5.8gHz link, and I have tested it. I am able to achieve full bandwidth from the rattlesnake landing, which is probably almost 2 miles from my place. I have built links like this that are over 10 miles long.

So, I attempted to do this with Metrocast - order service to the Rattlesnake Island Landing (which they can do from a technical standpoint), and they absolutely refuse to deliver service to any location if the only intent is to beam it over to Rattlesnake.

But, they did say if someone has a land based location that is serviced by Metrocast and we don't specifically get it to send over to the island, they will deliver the service no problem. This whole sending it to the island affair doesn't seem to be a problem with Fairpoint - it's just that DSL isn't available - from what I can tell, anywhere that can see the shore of the island at least on the South-West side. Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

So, is there anyone in Gilford or Alton with a direct view of the peninsula of Rattlesnake Island who is preferably located anywhere between the Rattlesnake Island Landing (on Nowicki road off Rollins road) in Glidden Cove, and Samoset who wants free high speed Internet in exchange for letting me mount a small outdoor antenna somewhere (like on a tree or a boathouse or any other place out of the way)? If so, please contact me at islandradio@rattlesnakeisland.net. You would be our hero!!!!!

We can also come in from the Alton side, but Sleepers and Redhead islands are in the way for most of it.

We can also bring it in from the other side, but the distance to the mainland is a lot further.

Once we get it over here, we can do a wireless mesh type of distribution system.

Thanks so much and Regards,

Steve
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote