View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #31
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
All the places that rent are about the same. I do not think that Thurston's is any worse or any better than any of the others. Bottom line is they have invested in boats to rent, and if they do not rent these boats, they lose money.

As far as boat service goes, Thurston's is top quality in my opinion. But, this is not the issue here.

The hard part for me to rationalize is that when the "unspeakable law" was being debated/supported, many of these rental marinas supported the "unspeakable law" in the interest of safety. WHAT CRAP in my opinion. If they cared one bit about safety, they would take the renters out and see if they could safely operate a boat. If they did that, in many cases, the only rational assessment would be the potential renter had no experience and should not be on the lake.

I believe that some portion of the renters are very safe operators and well experienced boaters. These boaters are not the issue at all. Their boating conduct is appropriate and they are welcomed into the safe boating community.

That said, I have seen way too many of the rental boats from all the renting marinas out there creating unsafe conditions for me to conclude these rental marinas care one bit about safety. It is the profit from these renters that drive their decisions about renting. Business is business, do not let boating safety get in the way of profit. But, they all become hypocrites when it comes to supporting laws about boating safety. They opt to support new laws that have nothing to do about boating safety, and they do it in the interest of boating safety. Go figure!!

Think of the highways. What if Hertz and Avis where allowed to rent cars to people with no driving experience if these people passed a 20 question multiple choice questionere, and could retake the same questionere if they failed the first time, or the second or third time? How safe would our roads be if this was the case? Not safe at all in my opinion. However, in a more complex vehicle operational environment, boating on our lake, just pass the test and get on out there. Be cool and have fun!?

Life is very strange at times in my opinion.

R2B
I am right on with this R2B
and trust me I am not one to stray from my opinions unless proven wrong, but I always seem to remember that we have all started out at one point or another and had to learn how to operate a boat.
Only difference is that those of that that are here as much as possible have had more practice either due to now owning a boat or renting multiple times

Come on now everyone stop being a boating Snob, as we have all been there at one point or another

by the way Thurston's Marina is one of the best out there and will probably will be there, as long as ownership does not change families, for years to come!
-which is what this thread was on to begin with