View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #47
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Its going to get REALLY interesting in a few weeks/months.

A key provision of HB-847 was that NO SPECIFIC FINE was established for a speeding violation. The fine (if there is one) will be set by the Judge... Yup the JUDGE!

Any and all speeding tickets written on Lake Winnipesaukee will result in a court hearing... That means the offender will have to take a day off, a few hours of court time etc... I wonder what thats going to cost our already overburdened and underfunded judiciary!

Gotta love these "No Cost" laws!

Woodsy
Insteresting observance Woody..... a few comments on this as I see it.

This is a good thing as I see it. instead of handing out a fine and being done, assuming the boater just pays the fine, the case will end up in court. In which case, all the information can get brought out, such as, just how fast the boat was going, the proximaty of other boats, the weather conditions etc etc.

For all of you opposed to the speed limit this is what you want, people will be able to fight the case that they where going fast, but not endagering anyone.

it also what people like me want to see.... I believe in speed control on the water but only to a point. Wide open areas like the broads should be speed zone free. It is only the congested areas like Wolfboro Harbor, Center Harbor, and the Wiers that need the speed limit...... Making Meradith Bay a no wake zone was in my mind one of the better moves....

Anyway just some thoughts, and once again, thanks for that bit of information Woodsy....