View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #41
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Ha! Good one Rusty! That's a knee slapper for sure. But seriously, isn't it better to look stupid, but at the same time be safe? I wish someone would give a serious response, because I am having trouble understanding why anyone would object to a simple flag. Please - someone?
Kayaks can roll over quite easily. One must then use the paddle to right the kayak before you drown. I remember many years ago a man drowned in Wolfboro Bay while practicing righting his kayak. A flag would make it more difficult to right an overturned kayak. You can argue that the flag is not much of an impediment but I would disagree. Any impediment when life is on the line is a serious problem.

You are correct however that any safety conscious kayaker should have taken some steps to make themselves visible before leaving shore. I have a lime green kayak and my life jackets are red and yellow for this very reason. I have read that a study found orange paddle blades help with conspicuity because they are usually moving.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post: