Thread: Fishing Survey
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #33
WINNI BOB

Default Salmon Derby - MY comments

Hi;

I have been fishing for all species for over 55 years, from Wolfboro to Lakeport, Center harbor, Weirs and Alton Bay. I have fished in over 25 Derbys. Placed 6th back 15 years ago with a 5.5 pound salmon caught just off Governor's Island. By the way, that salmon would have won the derby the year before, and the following year.

I am pretty good at what I do. I spend a lot of time fishing. I have, actually, caught over 28 salmon in 4 hours one day inside Center Harbor(with a buddy). We could only use 1 rod each as the action was so hot. We had several double "hook-ups" that day....we released all the fish!

However, over the past 3-5 years, the salmon fishing has been awful.
I have been averaging only 1 fish per day. During this past derby, I had 8 buddy's in 3 boats, and, all together, we only averaged 1 fish per day ...each. Yes, on some days one or two of us would get a couple, and others would get none. That's horrible!!!
We did , also, get a couple of nice Rainbow trout, and about 6-8 Lakers, but we're not concerned about those fish.

We were out, fishing, at 5:00 am , and we , also fished the twilight hours from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm (prime time). We tried everything, and the smelt from AJ's was great till they ran out. We fished from Meridith to Welsh Island. Downriggering, "slo-trolling", and drift fishing with no weight .... we tried everything !!! The main thing I noticed was; we were not marking many "REAL" fish(nice traditional upside-down u's) , and I use a $ 3000 12" HDS LOWRANCE that will pinpoint a damn shiner under my boat at 50'. I really think that there is, simply very few fish left in the lake.
I also, make it a point to ask the other guys fishing, that we pass...how they are doing, and I got a lot of Zeros , using their fingers as we passed.

I hope somebody figures out what's going on, because I'm looking to sell my condo and move to another lake, and I hate doing this as I have had a great time on this lake for so long.

By the way, I am ,"NOW" ,one of the few guys that release all the salmon I catch. The pictures that are attached, were caught years ago when there was less pressure....I use the "red" plastic "hook dis-gorger" that many guys don't even know how to use, so 90% or more of the fish I release, probably live.

To those guys that are doing the survey,,,"THANKS"
Attached Images

WINNI BOB is offline   Reply With Quote