Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #407
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
VtSteve: "Continually pointing out any affiliation or positions that the victim's in this accident held, put you in the category of pond scum IMO".

I have never pointed out any affiliation or positions that the victim's in this accident held....only the driver. The driver in this case was an outspoken critic of any one who wanted in any way to interfere with her fun and freedom. Then factor in a family's multi-million dollar stake in said scenario.
Now present her as the champion of all the "little people who just want to enjoy their boats who are being made unwelcome by those mean,rich, lakefront property owners".
Everyone can feel for the victims and the driver. It's a tragic situation especially for the Beaudoin and Blizzard families. No one questions that.
As far as the pond scum statement...oh no please take it back. Seriously though it comes across badly by a minority of posters like yourself who make the driver and her family a forbidden topic on a forum like this such that dissenting opinion might be stifled. It's kind of like a kid who is hiding behind his mother's skirt only to pop his head out from behind now and then and stick out his tongue. When someone sticks theirs out at the kid, he yells "Mommy, he just hurt my feelings". Well I'm not one to bring in the web master because you violated forum rules by posting personal insults, but I do want to point out to you that your aggressive if not intimidating replies with phrases like "you ought to shut your mouth" and the above one seriously diminish any intellectual impact you hope to put forth. As far as the later comment that speed limits don't slow down drunks...talk to any police officer who has pulled over a drunk. Often these people are going less than the speed limit...these guys don't want to call attention to themselves and risk a DUI. Are you proposing that we remove all speed limits from our highways because drunks don't obey them? Call me crazy but if I have to get sideswiped by a drunk, I think my chances of survival are better if it's a 30 MPH drunk than a 60 MPH drunk.
Anyway...I hope in your inevitable reply that you're able to tone it down a notch...for your sake and the sake of your argument.....TB
In my mind, anyone involved in an accident and injured, is a victim. You think your positions are bolstered by the linking the driver with her positions that you don't agree with. I would agree if the problems on the lake had anything to do with those positions, IMO, they do not. But your positions have to be continually massaged and tweaked to make up for the lack of relevance.

My positions are only changed if there is supportive evidence that shows my thinking is wrong. If there are accidents galore at high speeds, and the vast majority are a particular group or boat class, I'd have no alternative but to include the facts in my decision making. You and BD take a different route altogether. Accidents involving PWC's or smaller runabouts are ignored, drinking is only beaten to death if the accident involved a GFBL boater. They are the Party Hearty crowd, nobody else is. I have witnessed a far higher percentage of the Party Hearty crowd amongst smaller bowriders and such than the GFBL crowd. And as Dave R so aptly put, the recent accident did not involve a GFBL boat. More aptly defined as an express cruiser. If it was someone from Bear that was in a 32' Carver, we wouldn't be having this type of discussion.

Between you and BD, your continued distortion of the facts in many cases, re-defining of terms, and obvious disgust in devoting your sole attention to a specific group leaves you two with no useful positions. It's similar in many respects to people that don't like loud motorcycles. Their tone builds to a feverish pitch, such that any and all facts outside of their limited field of visions distorts reality to a degree of uselessness.

You and I both know that the public stands and position of the driver involved made it irresistible for you two not to comment in such an I Told You So manner. I'm sure you have even hoped that the facts would be the boat was doing 70 when the accident took place. That's bitter for sure, and it seems to fit given the posts on this board. You've tried to portray a milder form of bias and at least make it Appear that you want civility and thoughtful discussion. My view is that you're just more politically-minded than BD is, who is more to the point with his prejudiced view.

But since you just can't bear to look at this accident for whatever it is, without referencing political positions held, I just can't offer any opinion of you two other than what I've posted. It's certainly not based on your SL views, I have a lot of respect for others that share your view of that particular issue. Some close to the family had requested that personal issues be off limits for now. The point was well taken by most posters here. It does not add to the discussion, is not particularly germane to the accident at hand, and is mean and spiteful to those suffering from this tragedy. My personal references to both you and BD on this board, reflect my assessment of your posts here, some of which are mean and vindictive, and reveal your characters most of all. They show no humanity, no respect, and most of all, point out that your agenda on a particular issue is far more important to you two than anyone or anything.

Maybe others on this board can point out to me that I'm way off base, and should do dome soul-searching to find my way. But for now, my characterization of you two remains as stated.