View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Dove this today

I dove this with my buddy today. Now that I have seen it I understand my confusion about why I saw what clearly was a box shape yet scanned from other angles showed what clearly could have been a boat-especially the ribs then the bow of a boat.

Turns out, in my opinion, it was a bob house at one time on a heavy duty home made trailer assembled with steel I-beams, stainless bolts and stainless winch cable. Probably down there about 15 years or so based on corrosion of the steel.

The trailer frame itself was up at an angle in the water column-that much was clear from the sonar images. There was a large heavy duty wood frame base on the trailer bed-my guess is it was bolted to the trailer frame. All of the ribs (joists) of this base showed (no floor), thus making me think for a while it was a boat. I further speculate that the whole rig went thru the ice, tearing off the sides and roof, which makes sense if it pierced the ice and as it went down ripped it apart but the base remained attached.

I think the owner drove it out to fish and had no intention of taking it off the trailer, hence why the base never moved as it was bolted in place and thus remained as it sank in 60 feet of water.

The tires were car tires not trailer tires. The black arrow in the 2nd image points to one.

I figured out why it looked like a boat. Where the wood frame meets the front of the trailer and ends, the trailer frame of course continues at an angle until its end-point at the coupler and winch. This V made it look like the bow section of a boat continuing to a point, not a trailer frame. When they are next to each other as they are in the images, it looks like boat.

I dug around the end of it to see if there was a license plate but it was too far into the bottom to tell.

Visibility was the worst I have seen in a long time-maybe three feet. Video is not even worth posting sorry.

Temp at 60 feet was 47 degrees. 51 on top. No thermocline at all.

The second dive 1/2 mile away turned out to be another steel hulled vessel about 17 feet long-the 4th such boat I have found in the lake made of steel and all are about 17 feet. I wish I knew more about these old, odd steel boats. If anyone has any ideas email me thanks.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links