Thread: Near Miss
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
sgold44

Default Near Miss

I need to vent. I was heading over to the sandbar at West Alton on Saturday. Stopped about 200 ft off the SE corner of Sleepers Island to pull the tube in the boat and get the anchors ready. As I'm sitting there dead in the water with my engine off, my uncle noticed a boat about 500 yrds to our stern heading straight for us. There were 2 other boats to his starboard side racing with him. I told my Uncle they would change their course & pass to our port as there wasn't enough room to pass between our starboard side & the island. As they got closer, I began to panic. The captain of the boat heading towards us was sitting on the port gunwale facing towards sleeper island & he was yelling & waving at the other two boats. He couldn't see us because he wasn't looking straight ahead, he was looking to his port. He was now about 50 yds off my stern & about 30 ft to starboard. I began blowing my horn & screaming at him. As he passed me he turned his head & looked at me with a blank look. It was pure luck that he didn't hit us. The other two boats passed between him & sleepers, so I know they were within 50-100 ft of the island. They were all traveling between 20-30 mph. They were all wooden racers that we had seen at the Alton Docks earlier that day for the Antique Boat Show. The boat that almost collided with us was a 1925 Dodge. There were a couple of them there, but this one was had the darkest wood color. I can't remember the name of the boat, but I will remember the captain if I see him again. All's well that ends well, but it could have ended much worse if not for a little luck. I don't know if it was stupidity or ignorance, but it was scary.