View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #249
elchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
The polls are up to the honesty and integrety (sic) of everyone on the forum.
You mean the scofflaws who brag about ignoring and breaking our boating laws, or the cheerleaders who high-five them for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Yet again calling my profession into the argument. Will you please stop? How many times do I have to ask? Could you just stop? Seriously?
You call others much much worse, and refuse to stop when they ask. You called me a liar (and never gave that promised apology). Why are you embarrassed by your profession? Teaching is a noble vocation. Wear the title with pride. It is your logic (and spelling) that you should be embarrassed about.

Quote:
Why the heck would we or anyone care what a resident of lets (sic) say Salem New Hampshire thinks about a speed limit on a lake they have never been to? Explain to me why those people should have ANY say on what recreation takes place on this lake?
Simple, because Winnipesaukee is THEIR lake. Why do retired people go to town meetings to vote on the school budget? Why do landowners who don't hunt post their land? Why did Northerners object to slavery? People have a right (and duty) to opine about and take part in the management of the things in which they have a vested interest. And contrary to your opinion, a vested interest in a lake does not require a Boater's Certificate. Every citizen of NH is effected by the goings-on at Lake Winnipesaukee. If you cannot appreciate that, then you really may be in the wrong profession.

Quote:
I am reasonably confident that I could create a question that could be posed to the general New Hampshire public that would result in showing that New Hampshire residents favor some sort of restrictions on sailboats.
There has already been one...the same ARG poll. It applies equally to ALL boats. The Lake's owners favor (by 83% to 9%, with a +/-3% margin of error), that sail boats cannot go over 45MPH. I respect and abide by that. If polled, I'm sure that NH's residents would probably be near unanimous in support of our existing inclusion of sailors in our DUI law. And I respect and abide by that. I have no problem with reasonable limits on sailing, and I accept what society decides those reasonable limits should be. I would not want to be out their doing something that offends or endangers the rest of society. Maybe that's just me. And I recognize that "society" in NH includes ALL of NH's citizens, even if they live in Salem. What you want is akin to polling NAMBLA and asking if it is ok to sleep with little boys, and saying, "Why the heck would we or anyone care what a heterosexual woman thinks about man-boy love?

Quote:
Most non boaters that visit my camp are ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY that I drive my boat at night without headlights!
If 83% of Winnipesaukee's owners wanted boats to have headlights at night, I would be the first to have headlights installed, even if the law did not require. But maybe that's just me. I prefer to fit into society rather than buck it. But based on the posts we see in these Anti-Speed Limit threads, even if the law was changed to require headlights, many of you would be driving around with your headlights shut-off, for no reason except to buck society, and bragging about it on this forum, and the rest would be high-fiving you. Then when one of you killed someone or drove aground, you'd excuse it because he was drunk.

Quote:
So while you put stock in your statewide poll, I'll put stock in the poll answered by boaters
It has nothing to do with "stock". It is purely statistics. I can't believe a teacher, of all people, cannot understand statistics. Do you skip over the evolution chapters in your science books and give your kids hand-outs about intelligent design too?

Quote:
Your understanding and interpretation of polls and polling is limited at best. Your faith in the statewide poll is confirmation of this fact.
Wow. This one is going in the Whacky Post HOF. Now I'm really glad I sent my kids to private school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Would you support some form of additional tax or fee to support the Marine Patrol in efforts specifically targeted to stop BUI and obvious dangerous violations on the water?
I think the fines from DUI, speed limit, and other boating law violations should be given back directly to the MP. At the present, some guy in Salem who has never even boated on Lake Winnipesaukee is helping to pay for our MP enforcement (as he should, since he is an equal owner of the lake), but it is always fairer to society when the violators of our laws are forced to pay for law enforcement, IMO. It inspires law enforcement to do their jobs, and it reduces taxes (statewide).