View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #30
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Little Bear and Woodsy, what you reference with vehicle is not a Survey, it is nothing more then an inspection, which I have done, myself on cars for years.

I also spend time inspecting a boat before I buy it.

It really comes down to how knowledgeable you are when it come to these things.

A car just like a boat, my tactic, is to get the seller to agree that my mechanic, will evaluate either just prior or just after the sale...

Now what a survey takes into account for a boat, beyond the mechanical, are things like moisture content in the transom etc. like Woodsy mentioned, condition of the interior etc. etc.... Most often the are required by banks to get a loan anyways if you are in the price range where they make sense....

I am not saying that Survey's are useless, not at all, but to make it sound like they are mandatory I think is a bit extreme... I have looked at a lot of boats over the years, and point out quite often the issues to the owners, who think they are selling the worlds best used boat.

What I find is the biggest useful tool when looking at a used boat, is using your common sense, and not letting yourself get emotional over the idea of buying the boat. I walked away from to deals last year on boats that fit all my criteria, because owner didn't want to answer the hard questions... The other two boats I missed out on last year where because, people beat me to them......After the end of July, I told myself, I like my current boat, I am not willing to compromise on what I want... And I would just hold off.... This year I am glad I did, it doesn't look like I am going to get enough lake time this year with kids graduating, and looking to by a new home!!!!