Thread: The Woodshed
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #69
Crusty

I have been following this thread with interest even though I did not have the good fortune to eat at the Woodshed before it burned. I certainly plan to head over for dinner once it reopens.

While I doubt that it will be possible to recreate the original, I know what can be done with an old barn. Some friends of mine (and my first employers, back in the '60s) bought an old barn and moved it to a lot in Smithville, Ohio. It was a meticulous task to disassemble, label, move, and reassemble all the pieces. All of the old wood needed to be cleaned, sterilized and sealed to permit it to be used in food service. [The restrooms were originally entered through a corn crib. However insects and mice dictated that the ears of corn be removed.] The ambiance is rustic with antique farm equipment everywhere. The overhead lights are made from chicken crates. You may dine in the basement, first floor, or hayloft. The antique "salad wagon" is a popular luncheon destination.

Interestingly, as much as the seating area is rustic, the kitchen is modern. Absolutely state-of-the art. They also use a solar pond for heating, cooling and raising fish.

I don't know how the resurrected Woodshed will turn-out, but there is no reason why it can't be a popular long-lived establishment.

If you're interested, here's a link to "The Barn" photo gallery:

http://www.thebarnrest.com/pictures.html
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post: