View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #60
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
Thanks for the civil response Ryan. Note however that the Winnipesaukee speed limit at 12:19 AM is 25 MPH. Both of these boats were exceeding it (i.e. "speeding"), so both were at fault to some degree. Now of course the question will be how much death and destruction a 7 MPH (5+2) reduction in collision speed would have prevented.
And this is where we disagree. I feel the question should be how much death and destruction would there have been had the operator of the Sea Ray had not been drinking, had maintained a proper course and lookout, yielded properly according to the rules of navigation, and maintained headway speed when inside of 150' of another vessel. Four citable offenses. Again, just MHO.

Your 7MPH figure, in theory, would also only apply for a head on collision. Since it was 'assumed' the nefarious Cigarette boat was struck on the port side, the only relevant speed would be that of the give way vessel. Or we could get into physics of motion, but it's been years since I've opened that text.