View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
You are so right about just going to your local Police or Fire Station and making a donation, cash or check, directly to them. This is my method of supporting their causes, be they scholarship, health and welfare, equipment, or just plain coffee for their break room. At least this way they get 100% of what you intend for them, not a measly percentage.
Many of the phone calls you get are from the "Police Association" or the "Firefighter's Association". Even though the posters above pointed out that only about 15% goes to the police or fire organization you should find out what is done with the money you contribute.

Many times the police or fire organization you contribute to funds their union or their labor attorney. They are the ones that seek higher wages, pensions and benefits. So when you contribute to them you are really sending money that will help your taxes go up.

Because public sector wages and benefits, in many cases, have now grown to a point where they exceed the average private sector compensation package I would be very careful to be certain exactly where my money was going.