View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Chickie

Default Bartlett Book

I also have downloaded the Bartlett book and went immediately to the Davis and Whittier profiles and sketches. What a wonderful resource it is – just jammed pack with valuable information, and the sketches of the men are frosting on the cake. I have often paused at the Whittier monument at Bayside and tried to envision those times, wondering what Joseph and his brother might have looked like. Joseph was certainly a handsome young man. What a shame to have died so young, as he seemed to have such a promising future. Oh, to have a time machine available to us, even for just a day or week! There would certainly be a lot of things I would like to view.

Thanks for providing the link to the book and the other sites as well. Very interesting stuff, and it will add greatly to my knowledge of the 12th, NH Volunteers. It will take a while to read and digest it all and hopefully this old brain will retain a bit of it.

WinnDixie, I note in the Registry of Deeds website, there are a number of old deeds recorded under John P. Davis, as grantor. One of them shows that he deeded a farm to John Davis. (Book 57, Page 164) in 1873. Wonder if this is the same John P.? His wife is given as Mary and the land was in Gilford (perhaps actually in Lakeport as it was part of Gilford at that time).
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote