View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 03:24 AM   #42
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Sounds like another case of people demanding multiple primary residences. I thought this issue was decided ages ago. How many times and places does this person think we should be allowed to vote? Perhaps we should all go to his/her voting place and start a lawsuit.
i don't think this is the case. Some condos in Laconia & other cities & towns in NH have a clause that does not allow you to use the unit as a primary residence. There are several such condo conversions right on Route 3 along Paugus Bay & the Weirs. You, or your lawyer should know about this clause on the property before you move in. That's what I believe this announcement concerns. They are not trying to vote in 2 states, but are trying to move to a property in NH that they own & become a resident.

A lot of these properties are small, studio-type units that were converted motels & such.....some are not. I'm sure there is some case law in NH about this situation, but I don't know for sure about that.

My 2cents on this issue: I don't care if you own a converted 300 sq foot condo or a 3,000 sq foot condo.....you should be able to move into that unit & become a NH resident if that is what you desire. You are paying property taxes just like the guy in the next building that does not have this clause on his deed. I understand the cities & towns use these clauses to stop people from dumping their kids in the local school system from what I understand. This "year round seasonal" situation is used in the condo behind Shaw's in Gilford to block the owners from moving there as legal residents & mostly, I suspect, from sending their kids to that school system.

Last edited by Irish mist; 10-10-2011 at 03:54 AM.