View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Right Dan I agree Northern Pass is not in our best interest and therefore should not be done period. We don't need power from anyone, if there is a need there is no reason why we can't produce it ourselves. If your data is accurate Dan where we are producing 75% more power than we need it's unconscionable as why this is even being considered! What isn't surprising is that there are lots of pockets that will be padded if it is allowed to happen. Thankfully it looks like the state legislature is on the ball here and overwhelmingly saying no! So with no support from the legislature and clearly enough support to override the Gov on this why isn't it a dead issue? Guess I need to brush up on this one some more.

However back to what I was saying in regards to running or extending the power grid, I can see where eminent domain could in theory be used to run lines and is it accurate to say that PSNH and NE Utilities are all for profit companies too? I'm asking only because I don't know for sure. Needless to say the power grid is a matter of public interest and a necessity so I'm just saying I can see where eminent domain could be applied and would directly benefit for profit companies again subtracting the whole Northern Pass project from the equation. That said, and assuming that my premise is accurate on the for profit status of these entities, massive oversight should be put in place to ensure that any seizure of land is done so with due process and only where absolutely necessary with minimal impacts to the rights of land owners. I just can't see how it would be possible to expand the power grid if eminent domain were not a last case resort assuming the expansion was needed in the first place.

Plus we do have an electricity consumption tax what's that collected for?

Looking south of the border - NH should just take notes on what MA does as it's a great lesson in how NOT to do things!
Let me clarify something, depending on which source of information you review NH currently exports 50% - 75% of it's electricity. I should not have just stated 75%. With that being said the fact is in In 1999 we exported 4,689,000 MWhs and used 11.5 million MWh. We are not the only net exporter of electricity in New England as Maine and Vermont also currently produce more than they use I am pretty sure Rhode Island does as well but I do not have those numbers in front of me so I cannot confirm.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-11-2011 at 01:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post: