View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #36
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Probably in the minority here, but to me, an ideal island boat would have a ton of deck space, few amenities (like fancy seating and carpet) to worry about, a VERY seaworthy hull, some weather protection, a self bailing cockpit and a newer outboard engine. After a few weeks of exploring the lake and realizing it's really not that big, the boat will become almost nothing more than a commuter vehicle to get to and from your island home, so why make it complicated? You'll have plenty of maintenance to do at the camp...
I would agree with this, once you have a place the boat becomes more utilitarian than anything. You spend less time boating and more time relaxing on your dock or deck. We progressed from trailer boating so I got to know the lake well that way. We (as many islanders) have multiple boats, each having it's own use. The pontoon barge for early/late season projects (goes in/out of the water a few times a year) - a 16' whaler for shooting around to friends camps and quick easy runs for what's needed and a bigger 26' for going to dinner and taking visitors around the lake.

I have one neighbor who started with a large cruiser - it was gone within 3-4 months after he realized it wasn't practical.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Formula260SS For This Useful Post: