View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
Hivolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Seems unusual that they were "doing the guy a favor" to sell his boat. It would surprise me if they weren't getting at least 10% as a sales commission.

Since the average markup on new boats is in the 30 to 35% range it is no wonder they would rather have you buy a new boat.

Since the OP will need a mainland boat slip if the purchase of island property is in his future I would put things in a different order. Buy a boat slip in a marina such as Mountain View and then buy a boat with a cuddy cabin and spend weekends and vacations on the boat until you are ready for the purchase of island property. That way, when you are ready to buy your dream island house the other necessary things will already be in order.
Without a doubt TiltonBB, It seemed like "doing a favor" meant peddling a boat of a brand you do not carry.

That was the path I was on TiltonBB.

A. Upgrade the tow vehicle in case I want or have to move it.

B. Look for a slip I could buy that is somewhat central in the lake, buy a boat to fit the slip and vacation on it until the real estate market calms down. It's me, her and the dogs, We don't need much space.

Quote:
There are a lot of unanswered questions here. Is the boat a smoking deal you can't refuse? Then you want to get it before it's gone, even if you have to put it in storage or something. Are you paying all the money for it, then let it go and look for another deal down the road and maybe upgrade your tow vehicle in the meantime so you can at least bring a boat home when you do find one. That's another question, how far is home from the lake? You can always rent a truck if you live close enough to trailer, or if not, rent a truck once to bring home the new boat if you buy one before you have a place to put it on the lake. Many different scenarios to consider... I would continue to rent this season, (unless you find that smokin deal) and look to buy in the off season when you have a better chance of finding that better deal. Sounds to me like this place had no use for you unless you bought from them, in which case they just gave you no incentive to consider them for future purchases. Karma...
It was a fair price for what is was, certainly not a smoking deal and not something I will regret. What bothered me most was the feeling I got that the shove away from the dock when the papers were signed would be where the service stopped.

I understand their perspective though that it's a boom time, the season is very short and there's simply more money to be made by pushing their product.
Hivolt is offline   Reply With Quote