View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Default ...Winnipi-eogee

If I remember correctly, the New Hampshire legislature passed a law in 1931 which officially spelled it out as the now well known Winnipesaukee. A common spelling had been Winnipi-eogee, a name that this website censors as a dirty word. Whether or not the prior spelling and pronunciation was meant to be derogatory, I don't know but suspect that it was. After all up until about 1970, local rivers like the Winnipesaukee River and the Pemigewasset River were filthy rivers, full of municipal sewerage and industrial waste. Meredith was home to a waterfront asbestos shingle factory on the spot that is now home to the Hotel at Mill's Falls. Clean water was not so highly regarded in the old days.

Oh, for shame, for shame, just the thought of calling this lake a somewhat derogatory name..... the big lake of all New Hampshire property taxes that pays for everything in every town in the lakes region area makes me shudder......gasp! So, why does Winnipi-eogee mean 'the smile of the Great Spirit? Because the Great Spirit always smiles when it looks forward to its' regular six month property tax fix. Only four more months to go, oh mighty Great Spirit.....ayuh.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-28-2007 at 09:30 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote