View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Self store

Once I no longer docked at a marina that if you did not store with them, they would not guarantee the dock in the spring. Boat was a 25 ft bowrider. Cost to dock and store was just under $4000, plus winterizing and commissioning.

Bought a tandem trailer (new) around $2500. Winterizing was $800+. Shrinkwrapping was $11/ ft . Spring commissioning was a couple of hundred. Stored the boat in my front yard.

I was lucky. A friend was putting in a seasonal dock, 6 10ft aluminum sections, and said if I helped him put it in and out, I could dock on the other side.

I was told by someone at a marina that if I wanted to pay money to take off the shrinkwrap, put in the drain plug, charge the batteries, check the oil, and then crank'er up, they'd be happy to take my money. Started doing it myself, no issues. Saved money there.

So, amortize the trailer however you want, add in your cost to winterize, add in shrinkwrap, and plunk the whole kit and caboodle in your yard (or friend, neighbor, relative), and there you have it. Compare this to what you are paying now.

Dave