View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #14
XCR-700

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I'm a car guy who started with a Plymouth Barracuda and finished with 5 BMWs, most of them stick. So gas was in my veins, but I can only say you need to try it before you feel sorry for yourself. EVs are not just for tree huggers. The instant torque gives you a jump off the line better than anything short of an exotic. The self-braking motor--as you lift your foot off the accelerator the motor spins in reverse to recharge the battery--gives you an even better sense of control than a clutch. It feels like you're piloting a spaceship rather than trudging over land. For a person who loves performance and control, gas engines are yesterday's news.
I have tried them and HATED it, a slower muscle car grinding through the gears is SOOOOO much more fun to me than stepping on a throttle switch.

But I fully admit to being a dinosaur, I have no use for BMWs Acuras Porsche's or anything with high techno babble gizmos even when they are faster and more reliable and more efficient and actually better. I will even admit that in some ways they are better, but I HATE the whole modern and electric car experience.

I miss high beam switches on the floor, pulling the headlight switch out, the clickity click feel of the heater fan switch. I truly miss roll up manual windows, though I do have to admit to liking electric locks,,,

I have never driven anything with an internal shifter that felt as good as an 833, and you need an arm wrestlers arm to shift a Mopar. So dont even think of comparing a Tremec equipped anything to an old Camaro with a Super T-10, and with an electric you dont even have a transmission,,, Thats just flat out wrong!

The total lack of throttle feedback in any modern car is just so wrong to me I feel like I am driving a video game. And the hydraulic clutch only adds to the problem. A mechanical clutch linkage and cable throttle gave such precise feedback you could take off from a stop and not tell it was manual if you practiced just a little.

I would gladly trade my "new" Challenger for an equivalent original, just for the nostalgia of the finicky cold start procedure we all just lived with a generation ago. Where as today, I just push the start button. Its totally uninspiring,,,

When I reach the point of not being able to drive safely, I will just give up and it wont matter if the self driving car is gas or electric, but for now, I would sooner have a pull start 2-stroke go kart with points and condenser and rusted muffler than a Tesla, its just not fun.

But for those who a car is just transportation, then a self-driving electric probably makes a lot of sense. Its just not for me, I'm way too curmudgeonly to have a giant iPad on my dashboard where my 8-Track tape player should be. :
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: