View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #28
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not necessarily a change for better

Use of cell phones [U]everywhere [U] is not necessarily a good thing, especially in restaurants.

Case in point. We went out for dinner at a then new restaurant in Rochester. My wife and I were seated at a 4 place table pretty much in the center of the restaurant. Shortly after, a family of 4 were seated next to us; mom, dad, boy, and girl. Immediately, 4 cellphones appeared before the very prompt waitress could welcome them. The phones were not put down while she spoke, and the boy when asked what wanted to drink, he ignored her and the mother finally made him order.
The phones were never put away, and essentially the only conversation was about what they were looking at on their phones. Even during the meal, the phones were in use, sitting on the table, and as someone earlier said, probably be slobbered upon. They finished and left before we were done.
What a wonderful opportunity became a missed opportunity to talk to the kids... how was your day? How was school? Etc.

I personally like knowing there is no cell coverage at a restaurant as I'm not tempted to look at mine.

Dave