View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #84
Skip

Exclamation Snowmobiles are not PWCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
...For Pete's sake, stop and think for one second, one bloody second, how is it THAT different from riding a jet ski across the lake. Of course the snowmobile can sink, but under power? about the same thing...
First let me state again that the individual did not violate the "no wake" zone, or any other boating statute. Only watercraft can violate boating regulations, and a sled never obtains the status of a watercraft...no matter how it is operated.

That said there is a tremendous amount of difference between a snowmobile being operated on water and a PWC or any other watercraft. A sled operator has very little immediate directional control of his sled and depends on constant or accelerating speed to keep the sled afloat and moving forward. Any release of the throttle will result in almost immediate sinking. The sled also cannot compensate or maneuver over or through a wake or wave. Turns must be made with great anticipation and substantial clearance.

In short a sled operator, by the nature of the vehicle he is operating, has extremely limited control and must remain at speed at all times. It is obvious to see how this can present a serious danger to the boating or swimming public that may be operating in the general vicinity of this foolish act.

And let me add that whether the operator places himself in danger or not while operating and subsequently sinking said sled, his action clearly places rescuers and the general public in danger whether the act is committed on a warm summer day or in the middle of winter.

How?

Because in either case when a bystander dials 911 to report the incident, first responders have no idea whether the operator or any other person is in danger. They will respond accordingly. And unfortunately everytime a police officer, firefighter or medic has to respond in an emergency fashion to the scene of an incident it presents a serious situation for all involved along the way.

Additionally, when emergency responders are involved in responding to such an incident that means that the response to an additional emergency could be delayed.

Finally, the "sport" you speak of is conducted under controlled conditions with appropriate safety equipment and personnel on immediate standby. It is not done unannounced on a summer weekend at a crowded public lake.

As a longtime snowmobiler and public safety employee, I also volunteer my time as a Snowmobile Safety Instructor to teach young sledders the appropriate and safe way to respect the sport of snowmobiling. Skimming is a topic we cover clearly and seriously with our audience, due in part to the horrific incidents that occur across the country and here in New Hampshire each and every year. It's easy to draw the line in the sand on this issue, don't ever do it unless you are an experienced operator at a sanctioned event.

...For Pete's sake, stop and think for one second, one bloody second...

Outstanding advice.....I hope you think about it!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote