View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
An area where I think they should reconsider extending the NWZ is when you come through Long Island Bridge. If you come in from the Broads by Trexlers on a summer weekend there are always a ton of boats rafted to the right of the bridge as you pass under. As a child I remember that there was a NWZ out to the red marker about 500 ft pass the bridge. Now people take off 150 ft out of the bridge causing some rather large wakes for the people rafting. I always try to make sure I wait until the red marker if not further depending on how crowded it is, to make sure I don't throw a wake into the rafters. Just common courtesey in my opinion.
I somewhat agree, although an idea that has been floated on this forum may be the perfect solution to this area. This area is only of concern during the summer months when folks are rafting and swimming in that area, rest of the year it's usually empty, and it's probably not very crowded during the week. I've also seen some folks that decide to drop a hook fairly close to the bridge which in and of itself may be legal but asking for it considering that's a pretty busy area for boat traffic. Anyways I digress...this may be the perfect candidate for a weekend only NWZ from Memorial Day through Labor day. Of course this would cause some level of confusion and would be interesting to enforce, but don't know till you try. I'd really hate to see a permanent NWZ there since this is not usually a problem 75% of the year.

As you said though common sense should come into play and any operator should be courteous enough to get well beyond any area where rafters and day anchored boats are parked as to not kick up a huge wake. If only common sense and courtesy was in greater supply there would be no need to even consider a NWZ there in the first place.

I just fear that now NWZ's are becoming a perceived solution for everything. They certainly have merit in some locations, but I'd hate to see every spot where navigation may get a little tight or wakes could be a potential problem will become a NWZ in the old monkey see monkey do fashion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: