Thread: Weirs Hotel
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
WeirsGuard

Default Sandy Weirs Beach

Car Guy,

One of the big reasons for the changing shape of the beach has to do with the removal, in the mid-1970's, of three iron, wood encased, breakwaters. These prevented the sand from being washed toward the channel and maintained the beach in three sections. Each section was marked by a lifeguard stand. With the removal of the break waters the beach has changed shape as the sand was piled up against the rock breakwater at the entrance to the channel. When I was guarding at the beach in the 70's the sand extended only to the base of the rock breakwater. Over time the sand has moved further out along the rocks. As this happened, the end of the beach nearest the docks was scoured away and the guard stands had to be re-positioned. The swimming area was much larger then with a good sized drop-off in the center section.

Boardwalk Blues Boy,

Are you the same Robert Ames I remember cruising the boardwalk with fashionably long hair back in the 70's? Welcome to the forum. Your family has been a bedrock of the Weirs for as long as I can remember.
WeirsGuard is offline   Reply With Quote