View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #10
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I used to plow commercially and no, that is not “normal” so to speak.
Some factors that would contribute to a layer of snow being left behind are:
1. Your driveway being driven on before the plow comes.
This packs the snow and a plow will ride up over the packed down areas.
2. The plow guy has his plow “shoes” (if he uses them) too low, causing a layer that doesn’t get scraped.
3. The plow’s cutting edge is worn making it harder for him to scrape down to pavement. (If your drive is paved) if it’s gravel, he may not want to push your gravel off the driveway.
4. Late plowing (after snow/slush/rain) etc has rendered the snow to be like concrete. (Difficult to plow in any case)
5. Ill fitting or attached plow. (Sometimes a plow will not make full contact when at full angle)
Plowing commercially is a difficult job to say the least as Mother Nature throws conditions at us that are beyond our control. In a perfect situation, the driveway should be fully scraped...that's what I would strive for but in some cases, could not achieve.
Very helpful answer! Thank you! I didn't know any of this. No one had driven on my driveway before this incident and late plowing wasn't a factor. I don't have control over the other items on your list, so it sounds like I shouldn't hire this person again?
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote