View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #36
DBreskin

Disclaimer: I am not advocating the setup I describe below, even though the food looked and smelled GREAT!

Yesterday we saw a group of boats rafted up about 250' away and saw smoke from their grill wafting across the water. It appeared the grill was floating in the water. I decided I had to see what they'd set up.

I waded over to take a look, and in fact the grill WAS floating in the water. This removed all chance to soil or burn their boat. It was a standard low-cost backyard charcoal grill, about 18" square, set in a wood frame and on top of a 24" square by 3" thick piece of floatation foam. There was also a shelf attached to the side of the frame. The wood contacted the grill on two sides, and the chef kept the wood from burning by splashing water on it periodically; of course there was plenty of water close at hand. The chef also kept one hand on the grill to steady it in the waves and keep it from floating away.

The chef had a 30' boat so there was plenty of room to store his contraption.

Separately, someone else had used 3/4" galvanized pipe and made what looked like a pitch fork with three tines, it was about 6' long overall; he stuck it vertically into the sand in about 3' of water and screwed his Magma grill onto it. He grilled about 5' from his boat.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote