View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Here is the thing Boats like are owned by the Winnipesaukee flagship Corporation, need expensive routine maintenance, to ensure they are passenger ready and meet all governing regulations to operate.

Because Winnipesaukee, is not controlled and Patrolled by the U.S. Coast Guard, there are likely some things they can get away with, that normal commercial vessels under the jurisdiction of the US Coast Guard can not. (note this is an assumption on my part).....Because they are instead monitored by the State of New Hampshire.

The commercial Passenger boats on Lake Champlain when I lived there, had to be dry docked I believe every 5 years, and under go complete coast guard safety inspections.... There where no if and or buts in the equation.... The boat yards that could handle the work, where always busy in the fall and Spring to get the work accomplished when needed. Also why the Ferry Company owns more Ferries then are ever in operation at once... They have the ability to maintain normal operations for three crossings, and have one small and one large ferry in Dry dock. Normal operations require 2 Ferries between Burlington and Port Kent, 2 Ferries at Grand Isle to Platsburgh, and 2 ferries at the southern crossing. The last I knew, they had 3 large ferries and I believe six smaller ferries

Now back to Winnipesaukee, and the Flagship Corporation... A couple of years ago the Sophie C. Had and an issue, which involved length repairs, and undoubtedly high costs.... She is back in good shape... But during that time, there was likely some differed maintenance on the other vessels. Not because of money, but because of man power and ability to Dry dock other vessels while Sophie made the Dry Dock her home....

They likely had plans in place, so that what we see now The Mount in Dry Dock, and the Doris E. on blocks, with a 4th boat being made ready, wasn't going to happen. However our Friend Covid 19 hit, and really has thrown a monkey wrench into many things.....

The 4th boat is like more about having re-enforcements to allow better care to be taken with the smaller boats..... and some ability to off load some of the Mounts responsibilities when needed.

I don't think anything Major is wrong with the Mount, Props some bottom paint, and likely a normal inspection, and I would hope she will be wet again before the end of the month..... The new boat is a priority right now, so that they can get her on the water, likewise I am sure the goal is by the end of this month.....

The real question I have is what is wrong with The Doris E. Obviously she was moved to blocks so that M/V Mount Washington could be brought into the Dry dock.... But that alone was a big endeavor, and costly.... I am guessing like the Sophie C. it is time for a major structural inspection and repair cycle, but Don't know especially with the new boat, now on the water.

I don't envy the spot the Winnipesaukee flagship Corporation is in right now, I am sure there are lots of sleepless nights hoping to get boats floating and ready for tourist season.....And in the end I think they have just been victims of circumstances and bad timing....

Now if someone knows or finds out when they plan to re-float M/V Mount Washington I would love to know, I would love to see the process.....