Thread: Cost of fuel...
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #91
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Price does not imply quality. I had a Model 3 as well. Only problem it had was a stress crack in the rear window. That’s it. Friend bought a Model 3 before me and just traded it for a Model Y. He had 50K miles and never saw service either. They gave him almost full price back in trade. I’m also getting almost full price back on my X in trade (cost almost nothing to own or run for 2.5 years). It was only due to luck due to shortages, increase in prices etc. Only reason I’m trading is because I can get back what I paid. Same for my friend and true fir many ICE cars as well.

I agree, Model 3 has had some issues (all Teslas have some issues). Yet Tesla is still #1 in customer satisfaction. I bet most of your friends still enjoy the car even after the frustration of the failures. A common failure is the 12V battery doesn’t last long and can leave you stranded and doesn’t give much warning. And if it dies it’s not easy to deal with. If you get the warnings, any warnings IMMEDIATELY get it to service.

https://insideevs.com/news/486130/te...-win-2020/amp/

I don’t care for leases either. And don’t like loans on cars as well. But most people I know that do leases are smart with their money. I can’t stand the thought of not actually owning my car. I’ve never even rented a living space either.

Even though a lot of folks argue that you’re better off investing the money and taking a loan vs paying for it in cash I don’t buy it that argument. Paying by cash forces you to stay within your means. But it depends on where you are in your life. When young it makes sense. When your older it doesn’t.

I’ve done both, leased and bought. Of the cars I leased I benefited from, ended up buying out the leases and sold them for more I expected it to be a literal 3 year rental but hey I got lucky… my Tesla I purchased and could sell it today for 6k more than I got it for, love it, absolutely love it. I come from a family of mechanics so gas cars were the thing for us, EV? No way we use to say. once I became an engineer Tesla caught my eye as an employer and then a consumer. After owning it for a year unless I have to, I’d never buy a gas car again except for a tow vehicle etc where EV is just not there yet.. I personally won’t spend cash when rates are 1.8%. Over 3 I’ll drop the cash, I can easily tie up my 60k and earn more than 1.8% for an auto loan. Prior to my Tesla my last 3 cars were 0% financing. Tell me how it’s dumb to finance free money?