View Single Post
Old 03-09-2022, 06:57 PM   #68
Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
One of my quotes for splits came back as 5 condensers and 12 heads using Mitsubishi. Another was 3 Daikin 36/48k outdoor units and 12 heads.

What are people seeing for electric bills with similar sized systems? Another company was trying to push us to hydro air/lp and claimed that we would be seeing $2k electric bills in the dead of winter if we went all splits, which seems like a farce to me.
There are many males/models of splits. In a cold climate like NH, it is critical that you review the efficiency ratings and capacities at the lowest likely operating temperatures. For instance, Mitsubishi has at least 3 different systems, all with different ratings at -13F. If you are buying a 60,000 btu unit, it might only provide 30,000 btu of heating capacity at full power operation. Ask to see the efficiency ratings and operating capacity charts at -13F, 0F, and 20F.

That said Daiken and Mitsubishi are the best 2 brands (been doing it the longest), so you are headed in the right direction.

I recently spoke with a friend in CA who bought a 5 zone, 5 ton (60,000 btu) Carrier system. He needs 60,000 btu at -10, but his unit only produces 28,000 btu at that temp. He’s cold, and unhappy, because he has to buy an entire new supplemental heating system for his house. His contractor assumed it had 60,000 btu down to -13F, and the marketing literature led them to think that was the case.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote