Thread: Cost of fuel...
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 09:10 PM   #78
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
A couple of great points!

I agree the subsidies will taper off as more people get solar, so get in soon! I disagree the system will fail--the government will subsidize as easy landing--just as it is doing with the programs you cite.

School Boards and other nonprofits are not eligible for the big money part of the subsidies. A homeowner or business gets 26% of their solar investment back immediately in the form of a tax credit. (Businesses also get accelerated depreciation on top of that--87% in Year 1). Schools, local governments, and nonprofits such as YMCAs and churches do not pay taxes, so they do not get the credit. In effect, if a car dealer and a church both buy solar, the church is paying 50% more than the car dealer. Obviously this is messed up and makes it impossible for the School Boards. (The Build Back Better bill had a provision to fix this.)
You make good points.

But I bet most installers would give churches and non profits a 26% better price.
I guarantee they mark up a good chunk because they know your getting 26% off. I bet prices drop proportionally when credits expire.
I don’t care that much though. It’s the small companies trying to get into new tech that needs it just as much as the consumer does.

I guarantee Tesla got most of the EV Tax credits. Once they expired prices dropped.