View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
I hope the NWS is right. I'll be up there on Saturday and I don't feel like playing in slush. Does it ever rain in the souther part of the lake and snow in the northern part at the same time (ie. Moultonborough where I'll be) ?
Yes, it does. Though it seems like a 'local' area, Alton is still a good 20+ miles SE of Moultonborough. In New England that is a long (meteorological) distance. In Boston, for example, there is often rain falling while at the same time there is accumulating snow 20 miles north of Boston.

This lake also has worked to the snow lovers' disadvantage in Moultonborough when:

a) A snowstorm on the coast produces a strong east/southeast wind... and the lake acts as a runway to bring the warmer coastal air farther inland than it would otherwise go. In such cases I've seen mix/changeover at Black Cat even while Laconia, Tilton, etc were still getting snow.

b) as we discovered with the storm on the 14th of this month, when the storm produces a Northerly wind. The Ossipees will cast a shadow over the snow amounts here.

There are also plenty of times when I've noticed snow, even when it wasn't on the radar or in the forecast. That's what I love about the weather around here, it's so hard to figure out!

Re. Friday... I'm torn between R2B and the NWS. Common sense is telling me R2B is right, but I think I know what the NWS is thinking, which is also plausible: Canada is extremely cold right now, cold enough to make tonight's newscast. That cold air is trying to inch its way towards us, and if it becomes aggressive enough, it could push the whole mess farther east. The only question is... will it? Our current pattern says no. But patterns can and do change.Decisions, decisions.

TONIGHT: There is a freezing rain advisory. That means "Not an all-out ice storm, but enough to keep the area's road-rescue crews busy if drivers don't realize the 'wet' road is actually iced-over.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote