View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #79
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

If that doesn't skim over tonight with the winds forecast to come it's going to rip up what ice has formed. Next couple of days are going to be VERY cold, windy, snowy and down right wintery.

Observations from today...

Meredith bay is all locked in although off in the distance there looked as though there may be a sliver of open water right before spindle point, hard to see that far away. There was one person out on the ice fishing, no bob houses yet.

From sheps, ice looked good all the way out to Bear, Pine and beyond. I walked out on the ice about 15-20 feet or so and it felt good and solid under foot, IE no stress cracking or anything like that. Hard to say how thick it is there but I'd estimate it to be at least 3-4". I had intentions of walking out to BI but being alone and not having an ice auger to test along the way I decided against it even though I probably would have been fine. By this weekend I have no doubts it'll be good. Oh parking lot is plowed.

From Cattle Landing, that is all locked up walked out a little ways on the ice there, again felt good and solid as well. Parking lot is plowed.

Levitt Beach, couple ice shacks on the beach, one guy was out about half way to the beaver islands in a temporary ice shack. There is a skating rink somebody made there just off the beach, ice again was obviously in good shape there. Parking lot there is NOT plowed.

Center Harbor, a few ice shacks out one guy was also out on a 4wheeler.

Area lakes and ponds:

Pemegewassit (or however you spell it) was locked up tight, evidence of snowmobile traffic on it and a few ice shacks.

Waukewan, locked up some evidence of people on it but no snowmobile tracks that I could see.

Winona, locked up with some snowmoblie tracks on it.

Kanasatka, locked up with lots of snowmoble tracks on it.

Little Squam, locked up some ice shacks and 4wheelers/snowmobiles on it.

Big Squam, locked up from where I could see along Rt 25, no evidence of anyone on it yet.

Snowmobile trail conditions, as observed doing a drive by:

Corridor 8 rail bed along Waukewan, groomed, rails covered and looked outstanding.

Corridor 15 Castle Trail parking lot, thin but covered, trails had been packed only, sign by the groomers left on the junction sign indicated that the did not drag the trails due to lack of adequate snow to work with. However they looked to be in decent shape with minimal coverage. About 7 trucks in the lot.

Local trails all looked ride-able although some were not yet groomed.

Corridor 8/5 Baker River Valley, Plymouth area, MINT along Rt 25.

Snow coverage is thinner towards Moultonboro as compared to Meredith, probably due to shadowing of the mountains.

It looks as though where the groomers could get out there and work their magic they did what they could. Any additional snow fall will really set things up nice for this weekend.

Sorry no pics, didn't have my camera with me.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: