View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #36
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
On the other hand my 2015 Grand Cherokee is filled for life. Best to go by the owners manual.
Above is what I read.

And this is incorrect as stated below taken from a Jeep forum.

"lifetime" trans fluid doesn't necessarily mean lifetime, it just means "out of warranty".

Whether a ZF automatic transmission in the Jeep or an Aisin automatic transmission in other cars - that state "lifetime" - it does not mean "forever".
This is where people get confused. "Lifetime" and "forever" are not the same.

The automatic transmission fluid does need to be changed. It is not "forever".
Most Owners Manuals service requirements stop at 100,000 miles which is not "forever" in today's vehicles. The owner needs to change the "lifetime" automatic transmission fluid at 100,000 miles if they want a trouble free automatic transmission for many more miles and many more years.

But as this original poster stated - they will probably trade in before the 100,000 miles - so for them, changing the fluid is a moot point as they no longer will have the vehicle. But then it goes to the next owner who may think that the "lifetime" is the same. Or forever, which it is clearly not.

And as for the 1997 vehicle - someone mentioned "rust". I pointed out that there is another thread on this forum which is geared towards vehicles that rust.

And I do also have 45 years in the automotive trade.

And thanks for your input and perspectives.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote