View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Refridgerator issue, help!

FIrst, I'd like to wish everyone a safe and happy 4ht of July !

This is the greatest country on earth, and we've been blessed with freedom and liberties, others around the world, can only dream about.
"Live Free or Die", gotta love that slogan ! But I digress.....

Having a refridgerator issue, and of course it happens on a holiday....

Fridge is about 17 yrs old.... A side-by-side Amana, and has not had one issue since purchase, nada !

Woke up this morning to a fairly warm fridge, the non-freezer side, however the freezer side not as cold as usual.

The non-freezer side of fridge was blowing warm air, and now just stopped all together. The freezer side is still blowing cool air, but I'm seeing ice starting to melt, not a good sign.

All this said, my wife and I rushed to empty the entire contents of both sides of fridge, to second fridge located in basement. We use backup fridge to store beer, soda, etc, and use freezer section for seasonal items.

So back to my issue... I'll be calling applicance repair tomorrow for a house call, but any ideas what is happening to the fridge? Only thing I can think of is 'compressor' !

If it is the compressor, I'm sure it wil lbe costly, and wondering if that is the case, worth the investment? Again the Fridge is 17+ yrs old.
Can probably find a suitable replacement for about $1,000.

As always, your thoughts and suggestions apprecaited.

BTW, I did mange to find some space in backup fridge for at least a 6 pack of beer.
What would the 4th of July be, w/o some cold beer !

Thanks
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote