View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #31
Binarym

Default The former owner of the boat from - Not what they meant by "on the rocks"

All:

First off I blame nobody but myself for the accident. I wasn't familiar with the area and before I noticed the rocks it was too late. I should have broken out my chart once I had veered off into unfamiliar waters, truly my bad it may have prevented the accident. I will say that sun glare did play a big factor into why I didn't see them. There were no birds on the rocks and they were not sticking up out of the water but if you get close enough you can see them.

Yes, whoever posted that the markers are weird there, you are absolutely correct. I also agree with those that stated the area should be marked better.

I want to thank Tow BoatUS (yes I have their membership $76 for the year) those guys were great. They took us all home and got the boat off the rocks three days later when they got the right equipment. I especially want to thank the three families who live on the Island that came out on kayaks to check on us and one group brought us out snacks and drinks while we were waiting for our tow. Two of the locals in the area did say I wasn't the first to do this and I will not be the last. Unfortunately three people I am told who came by close to get a closer look were victims of scraping rocks and doing damage to their props. It is a tough area be careful!!

As for the boat, well the estimate to repair it was $3,000 more than the boat was/is worth so I was issued a check and the boat was deemed a total loss. Hard lesson but fortunately I received enough in the settlement to get a new to me comparable boat (26' Formula 260BR). I want to thank those who had kind words and to those who had harsh words, I am taking them in stride and wish nobody ill will. I made a mistake and I am moving forward. I am back on the water.

P.S. The new boat has a GPS
Binarym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Binarym For This Useful Post: