View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
VtSteve

So you see, JRC, statistics are a funny thing. Small states like Vermont and New Hampshire don't have that many accidents or fatalities. So a minor blip from one accident alone can throw the stats into chaos. The last time a report was done, the figures weren't very alarming either. Despite their use for more laws, the statistics have never backed up the claims for such.

The statistics have pointed to one thing in particular that I'm surprised the safety hawks haven't harped on. I'm certainly not going to bring it up, nor support it.

In a nutshell, the vast majority (do the math), of all accidents, especially fatal ones, can be attributed to the same things as always.

BUI
Careless and negligent
Unsafe speeds for conditions
Boater education
Wearing PFD's in small craft
Wearing PFD's in early season boating (primarily in small craft)
Proper Refueling
Wear your lanyards
Always be very aware of large waves from cruisers. An awful lot of accidents and serious injuries result from boaters that fly through large waves, unaware that their passengers have nothing to hold onto.

So for 2009, the pure statistics will seem bad. The best way to keep the stats low is boater education, particularly on water instruction which is sorely lacking.

Hey, I just came up with a new funding mechanism for the MP