View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #19
frank m.

Default Camp Menotomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I seem to recall a thread a few years ago about Camp Menotomy--the land etc, not stories about campers. It seemed then that there were some good reasons the GS Council did not want to sell. They've been closed a long time. I remember dropping anchor in that cove and spending the night when it was still legal to do so.
I am almost an abutter to Menotomy and I got worried when they shut down their normal operations a while back. I spoke to the Director down in MA and my fears were calmed. She told me that the land had been granted to them for "Girl Scouting" and that any other use would result in the property going back to the heirs of the grantor. And they could not sell it... could only go back to their heirs. And as a non-profit, they pay no taxes. The little bit they pay for power, upkeep, and insurance was offset by the rent they get from a few weekend events by individual girl scout troops. She assured me that their is no incentive for them to do anything except keep everything exactly as is until/unless girl scouting has a resurgence and the previous normal operations could be resumed.
frank m. is offline   Reply With Quote