View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #35
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Terrace Hill

1892 Fishing camp that was built next to the Lake Shore Railroad. In the days the road was dirt mixed with old oil to keep the dust down. No utilities. There was a propane refrigerator, toilet, kitchen stove. There was a propane generator we used for water and lights. We had a Franklin stove for heat.

We could walk down the old railroad bed to Lake Shore Park and Glendale. The other way we could walk down to the Wise Owl. We were told we could walk to Alton. We never did. This would have been an excellent rail trail today!

We had a wooden kayak with waterproof canvas cover. It was heavy! My dad had a Lightning class sailboat that he would race at WYC. It was fun learning how to sail! We also had a Century Resorter. Great for water skiing! It was fun boat to water ski behind. When it was rough on The Broads, we would ski out front of Ames Farm.

We would take the Resorter out to Long Island Beach where we would hang out with friends on the back side and waterski. Once my dad waterski from the beach to Gilford. He did it but he did not do it again!

One time I tried to kayak to Diamond Island. I wore myself out! No cell phone coverage then, so I had to float until I can flag a boat! During the week there was very little traffic on the lake (60's).

We use to walk to Lake Shore Park and 'hang out' with the kids there. I attended my first 'teen dance' at the Pavilion. I felt like an adult! I had my first kiss there! I will leave it at that as we are FB friends. LOL!

One of the kids at LSP had a 13' Boston Whaler with a 25HP motor. I fell in love with that boat!. I convince dad I wanted my own boat, so he got a 13' BW with a 70HP 'rude! Man, that flies! Lucky I'm still alive!

I could go on and on!