Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #233
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
"...plenty of people supporting the speed limit live on other lakes as well....
Uh...where are they here?

Lakefront dwellers on Ossipee Lake and at least two Maine lakes are represented here opposing Winnipesaukee's speed limits. A case of NIMBY?

Granted, I wouldn't want Lake Winnipesaukee's ex-cowboys near my guests and family either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath View Post
"...How about anyone on this thread that is in favor of a speed limit!? Real experience..."
As a passenger, I've crossed Lake Winnipesaukee at 120-MPH.

The floatplane I was in was flown by my Dad—a proven pilot.

Moreover, both parents are certified floatplane pilots, and my Dad raced a "Laconia Speedster" on Winnipesaukee out of Melvin Village.

Both are non-drinkers and want speed limits on Winnipesaukee. That includes my in-laws, who had a kayak incident with an all-white, high performance boat within 75 feet of shore! (Visibility problem over an excessively-long deck, I'm hearing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath View Post
"...We can't teach common sense...but we can teach people to be better and more safety-conscious boaters..."
I instruct high-speed automobile car control—most recently at 130-MPH. Our club has paid corner workers, fire trucks, and ambulance "at the ready" on a closed course.

Is that enough safety—where there's absolutely no chance of drowning??

At speeds that vary between 50 and 130-MPH, I can afford only a glance at the temperature gauge once a lap: If experience tells us to avoid distractions at high speed, how does a "driver", speeding across Winnipesaukee's shoals and 253 island-strewn waters at 150-feet per second or faster, manage high speed distractions with this panoply of instruments ...plus GPS???

Last edited by ApS; 04-11-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: add one more panel, poor GPS placement