View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #627
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Been tried, didn't work, even more difficult to enforce than some of your perceptions of how hard it would be to enforce the SL. So now we have a SL. As far as trivializing the MP, many of your SL persuasion have not only trivialized them, but outright bashed them over the past months over issues like the 150' rule and NWZ's. And again, hearing today's description of the poker run a few years ago makes me certain they are not the ones who should be weighing in with their expert opinions about the need for a SL.
Hey sunset.. just a heads up, I wasn't there (in VA) but pics of this years poker run were shown on winni.com. I haven't found the thread but I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong Rattlesnake Gal posted them) These poker runs (NOT RACES) earn a ton of money for Easter Seals and are not publicized ever as races or they would lose their insurance. Most run safety meetings and have very strict rules for captains regarding drinking and life jackets etc. I would even say most poker runs are 10 x safer due to how well the are run then a busy day on the lake. The reason why the Crowd of boats entered at the same time is in most poker runs the group "runs" together so they go from point to point. Others are set up so (like winni) so all the boats don't arrive in the same port of call all at the same time. Given you will get groups like this one being discussed but it isn't a safety hazard. Usually the MP clears the way for these groups because it is an organized event. They make sure that when "the group" arrives there aren't boats in the way etc. Now I wasn't part of the one in question but it was back from 2003. I don't think too many of us can comment on it as to exactly what happened unless you were actually there.. Just my 2 cents...

As you can see I get reved up when Poker "RUNS" come into question for they are a very successful way to raise money for needy charities and provide for a fun and SAFE time for all its participants. If a few want to treat it as a race then you can't blame the poker run.. I have seen plenty of non go fast boats racing while breaking many laws in the process but no one seems to get on them.