View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #70
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Having started boating way before there were bow-riders, it would never occur to me to have somebody in the bow. There's much better stability for crew in the back, at least in my boats where you can brace your thighs against the gunwale. That doesn't work quite as well on a 'toon where the gunwales are lined with seats. What do you do when it rains and the canvas covers the bow? What do you do when you are single handing? The helmsman can throw the loop (or use the tool we're discussing) over a post and attach it to the cleat that you installed within easy reach of the helm. I know folks who have gotten nasty splinters and other injuries trying to garb and hang onto a post from a boat that moves unexpectedly due to wind, wave, or current.
Re; Having started boating way before there were bow-riders

Same here, dont even think our early glastrons had floors let alone bow seating, well not floors like we have now ;-)

As for having some one on the bow during docking, no idea what you are talking about, depending on the size of the boat they have people on the bow and stern at the same time. simply google boat docking or look at any manufacturers image gallery and you can find more pictures and videos than you can possibly look at/watch. and in the case of our Formula, a section of the front seat is removable to let you right up to the gunwale and its pretty deep in that section of the boat, so anyone standing there has solid footing and a can brace themselves against a solid surface.

So if you have no one in the front and dont ever grab a post, you must get the boat the stern of the boat against the dock for someone in the back to tie off and then what power it into the dock to keep the nose in until you can tie it off? Not the easiest method on full docks like Wolfeboro or Meredith.

Or maybe you have thrusters? We do not,,, But with this boats being almost 30' OAL with the swim platform, I can see the value in thrusters on Winnipesaukee.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote