View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Some third party software may not transfer properly. I practice jotting down all the software installed, delete them before the update and reinstall. This provide a lot cleaner install.
There are GUI interface software out there to make W10 feel like W7. But never tried them.
I finally gave in last winter and replaced a 1G RAM XP desktop with an 8G RAM Win 10 one. I had a Fortran compiler on the old PC, but I knew that some old installation CDs built back in the days of XP won't install on newer versions of Windows. I copied the entire directory structure of the installation from the old PC to a flash drive, then directly onto the new PC. It runs correctly, and I was happy about that, but this might not be the case with all applications simply copied over.

One thing I absolutely did not like with Win 8.1 and 10 is the clumsy desktop, with those awkward large rectangles instead of the old familiar icons. Sure, the large "medium" sized icons can be changed to "small," but you lose the titles, without which so many icons are useless. I downloaded and installed the free "Classic Shell," my desktop looks the way it did before, and the Start button brings up the familiar menu list.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote