Thread: It Passed!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #45
Fat Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnilaker
Fat Jack, I know you're chuckling to yourself
Actually, I'm not. I'm very relieved, but I'm not at all gloating, and I hate to see a few others on this forum doing so. I am not associated with them. I do feel for those who have spent so much for their fast boats for the sole purpose of speed and now can only use them for that under permit or at teh ocean. I was a tough fight, especially against the people who kept mischaracterizing our reasoning and lying about the facts while calling us the liars (for instance, the rep who tried to tell the rest that the radar guns cost $5000 each and we'd need 100 more MP officers and $100K to have them trained in the use of radar, while Kustoms has told me the $1500 guns are discounted to $1200 and free training for orders over 15 guns, whos teh fear pedlar?...Or the rep who said these $200K boats don't have on board adequate means for measuring their own speeds when in fact with speed being the primary goal, such highly accurate means are usually the very first accessory ordered by these "how fast can I go?" boaters). As I have said over and over, this was merely a safety issue for me. I have become increasingly afraid to use the lake at my door in my boat which was more than big enough ten years ago. Things have changed on the lake dramatically over the past ten years and it was time to do something about it. I believe 45 MPH is more than reasonable for any safe boating activity on a crowded lake (including barefooting), and (because I have studied this issue more than probably any other person in NH over the past year) I believe these limits can be enforced by a safety agency that wants to enforce them, and they they can be effective. It really all comes down to who is in the top desk in Glendale now, and the person there is clearly not the rigth person. Yesterday's vote was as much a no-confidence vote on him as it was a vote for HB162. I hope Flynn recognized that and does not bring embarrassment on himself by forcing the citizens to drive that change.

Quote:
There was tragic accident this past summer on Lake George and they have a speed limit.
And there will continue to be accidents on Winnipesaukee and other lakes that are not related to speed. We never claimed that a speed limit will solve all of Winnipesaukee's troubles.

Quote:
I will continue to shape NHRBA into something that will make a difference, more NWZ's where needed, better signs at docks about the 150 safe passage, etc. and yes to continue to monitor legislative rulings. We still have a lot to do on better water access for other lakes. So while HB162 is one step closer to becoming a reality, my position is still the same and will continue to get boaters together to be better informed and to promote boating safety.
Then we have a lot in common and I hope we can bury the axe and work together. I agree there is still a lot more to be done.